Monday, April 20, 2009

Personal Reflection

To be blunt, I have never been a big fan of Independent Studies, or even English for that matter. I would say that I am still on that same page at the conclusion of this project. However, I did really love this book. I picked it up because I tend to like adventure stories with enthralling plots and fast-paced action. The Cellist of Sarajevo was not like that at all, but it was still a very enjoyable read for me. Reading this novel exposed me to a kind of literature that I usually run away screaming from: a recount or real historical events. Steven Galloway made his novel interesting by involving characters that, although they were not real people, very easily could be. This book had a very humane and realistic vibe to it that was complimented by the knowledge that the siege of Sarajevo is a tragedy that really did happen not too long ago. I found it to be very relatable, and perhaps that was the gripping factor for me.

I would say that I am a stronger writer that I was at the beginning of this ISU. Being forced to write in response style, then opinionated and using quotes from the book and book reviews all the while has definitely tested and improved my writing. Having a world-wide audience did not really affect what I wrote, just the way in which I wrote it. I did more editing and noticed that my thoughts were coming out sounding more organized and sensible than they do in my head. Knowing that anyone can read what I write made me want to be more formal about the whole thing.

So what have I learned about Canadian literature? Well, I’ve learned that it’s fantastic! I have discovered that it really as not all boring, long and cryptic. Reading this novel I learned a lot about history, and I learned a touching, timeless lesson on perseverance and what it means to work together and never ever give up hope.

3 comments:

  1. A fair and honest assessment. Looks like you got out what you put in. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did an independent study project on The Cellist of Sarajevo as well. I would have to disagree with you about the fact that The Cellist of Sarajevo did not have an enthralling plot. I loved this book because I thought that it was able to keep me interested all the way from the first page to the last (which can sometimes be a struggle). I also thought that the fact that there were three different narrators helped out a bit. As soon as it switched characters, I was disappointed because I wanted to continue on with their story, however once I read the first page of the next chapter I was able to jump right into the next story which also kept me wondering what was going to happen next.

    I do agree with you about how realistic the characters in the book were. At points, I felt like I was reading a non-fiction book, because the stories seemed so real. I agree that the fact that this tragedy did not happen to long ago also added to the impact the book made. I was shocked when I looked it up and found out that the siege was happening only 20-25 years ago!

    Lastly, I think that my project also taught me some things about Canadian literature. When I first heard that we had to choose a Canadian book, I thought that they would all be boring and awful. However, I would have to agree with you that after reading The Cellist of Sarajevo, we can conclude that Canadian literature is fantastic. Canadian novels definitely contain many great messages and have the ability to impact the reader in many different ways.

    Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Cellist of Sarajevo, and it's great to see that it was able to impact you in many of the similar ways that it impacted me.

    ReplyDelete